throws the book at Rick and Lisa Rizzolo,
and MGM's partnership with
inspires questions about
Nevada governs its casinos?
INSIDE VEGAS by Steve Miller
March 30, 2009
LAS VEGAS - This was a week
that will live in Sin City infamy.
On Monday, United States
District Judge Philip Pro issued a long awaited Order that will finally
allow unpaid beating victim Kirk
Henry, and other creditors, to go after former Crazy Horse Too topless
bar owner and convicted racketeer Rick
Rizzolo's hidden assets.
Then on Friday, MGM Mirage
announced that their joint-venture partner, Dubai World, was trying to
pull out of the 76-acre CityCenter
project, and MGM may be forced into bankruptcy.
Hours later, MGM Mirage made a $200
million dollar payment which included the half that was supposed to
be paid by Dubai World. This leaves $800 million unpaid.
But first, Kansas resident
Kirk Henry has been waiting to get paid since September 20, 2001 when his
neck was broken by one of Rizzolo's goons over a disputed $80 bar tab.
On July 26, 2006, politically
ambitious Clark County District Court Judge Jackie
Glass incorrectly ruled that Henry must continue waiting until the
government-seized bar is sold in order to receive the $9 million dollar
balance of his $10 million dollar settlement promised by Rizzolo in exchange
for a light prison sentence and the government not prosecuting his father,
sister, and brother. Since then, Henry, now a quadriplegic, has been denied
his ability to locate and seize Rizzolo's personal
hidden assets to pay his ongoing medical bills, and provide support
for his family.
Just when Henry thought the
Federal Court would come to his rescue, on February 3, 2009, U.S. Magistrate
Foley erroneously agreed with Judge Glass' ruling, and all but killed
Henry's chance of ever getting paid within his shortened life span.
On March 23, 2009, Judge
Pro wisely issued the following ORDER overruling Judges Glass and Foley's
On Wednesday, March 25,
Las Vegas Review-Journal columnist John L. Smith wrote;
"If Rick Rizzolo has buried any coffee cans full of cash in his backyard,
it's probably a good time to start digging them up." "It would be much
easier, of course, if Rizzolo awakened and coughed up the money he's already
admitted he owes the Henrys. But from the outset Rizzolo has consistently
neglected to take my advice, freely and generously given, in this case.
Now I think it's too late."
Smith went on; "Then there
are the times since his 2008 release from prison that Rizzolo has been
spotted gambling and night-clubbing on the Strip. I'm guessing Rizzolo's
casino hosts won't mind being asked how much their customer played at a
time he should have been paying his debt to the guy one of his goons crippled."
"During his representation of the Henrys, (attorney Don) Campbell once
told the Las Vegas City Council that, if necessary, he would 'chase (Rizzolo)
to the gates of Hell.' I'd say the chase is on."
GOOD RIDDANCE DUBAI WORLD!
When I first saw Terry Lanni's
face on November 6, 2008 in the following news story, I knew Las Vegas
was asking for trouble. For the past several years, I've come to believe
that Lanni was a phony, and upon learning he was the driving force behind
a terrorist nation's buyout of tens of millions of dollars in MGM stock,
I was ready to panic.
Six months after Dubai World
was approved by the Nevada Gaming Commission, they reneged on a $200 million
dollar payment to keep their giant joint venture called CityCenter afloat,
leaving MGM Mirage on the brink of bankruptcy.
Had Dubai World fulfilled
their part of the bargain, we could soon be welcoming
terrorists into our desert city, and what American city needs a major
business partner headquartered less than 50 miles from Iran?
|Nov. 06, 2008
Copyright © Las Vegas
Dubai World seen as suitable
State gaming commission to
decide whether entity can work as ally with MGM Mirage
By HOWARD STUTZ
Nevada gaming regulators
said Wednesday that Dubai World, the investment arm of the Persian Gulf
state, was a suitable business partner for casino giant MGM Mirage.
The entity, which has an
asset base worth more than $100 billion and had revenues of almost $11
billion in 2007, has already made a substantial investment in MGM Mirage.
Dubai World paid $5.1 billion last year to acquire 9.4 percent of MGM Mirage
and 50 percent ownership in the massive $9.1 billion CityCenter development.
"I'm supporting this application
because I see two entities in front of us that benefit each other," Gaming
Control Board Chairman Dennis Neilander said following a 90-minute hearing.
FULL STORY: http://www.lvrj.com/business/33988794.html
The sinister partnership,
and MGM's subsequent possible bankruptcy could have been prevented by Nevada
Gaming officials had they done a little research.
Dubai World in 2006 attempted
to take over control of our nation's ports. US government officials then
revealed that Dubai World was funding terrorist organizations including
Hamas, and that they posed a threat to American security (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Ports_World_controversy
). The revelation thankfully thwarted Dubai World's plans.
Now the same group of Arab
extremists have the future of the Las Vegas economy in their grip, and
the automatons on the Nevada Gaming Commission greedily let it happen while
ignoring widely reported stories about Dubai's relationship with Osama
bin Laden's operatives.
Bin Laden's operatives still
using freewheeling Dubai
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates
(AP) — Osama bin Laden's operatives still use this freewheeling city as
a logistical hub three years after more than half the Sept. 11 hijackers
flew directly from Dubai to the United States in the final preparatory
stages for the attack.
THE FULL STORY: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-09-02-terror-dubai_x.htm
Three weeks after the Nevada
Gaming Commission shirked their responsibility to investigate "Sultan"
Ahmed Bin Sulayem and Chief Financial Officer Maryam Sharaf of Dubai World,
Terry Lanni, MGM's then top official and Dubai World's biggest booster,
suddenly quit in the wake of a Wall
Street Journal story questioning his educational background.
Had the Nevada Gaming Commission
done their due diligence last November, and had the Nevada media not been
enamored by Lanni's B.S., they may have prevented putting in jeopardy the
livelihoods of over 8,500 Nevadans employed in the construction of CityCenter..
This one was a no brainier,
and it's clear who's at fault. Nevada Gaming Commissioners Peter Bernhard,
Sue Wagner Randall Sayre, Art Marshall, Mark Lipparelli, Radha Chanderraj,
Tony Alamo, and Dennis Neilander for obediently voting to approve the sinister
partnership. And Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons for appointing them to such
important posts, then not paying attention when Dubai World applied for
a gaming license.
Trying to recoup some of
the money Dubai World made petro-price gouging American citizens is not
worth the risk. In the long run, Las Vegas may be better off -- and much
safer -- if Dubai World folds their tents and goes home.