Allan May, Crime Historian
Allan May is an organized crime historian, writer and lecturer. He also writes a monthly column for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Contact him at AllanMay@AmericanMafia.com.
Godfather Part One
By Allan May
Rules: The earliest postmarked email with ALL correct answers.
Allan May will check each email for complete correctness.
Thats it! Good luck!
We will accept your submissions for 2 weeks.
Review the Godfather Part One and submit your answers.
Winner receives an autographed copy of "To Kill The Irishman"
Congratulations to Joe C. of Trussville, Alabama for being the winner of the first AmericanMafia.com trivia contest. Joe had the first entry with all the correct answers. Joe is an information systems analyst whose interest in organized crime goes back to his college days when he did a thesis on the state of the mob during the 1970s.
A big thanks to everyone who participated and better luck next time.
1) What was the name of Vito Corleone's Olive Oil Company?
2) According to Captain McClusky, how many young punks had he frisked?
3) What hospital room number was Vito Corleone in?
Answer: Room number 2
4) What was Kay Adams eating at Connie and Carlo's wedding reception?
5) According to Tom Hagen, where was Sonny killed?
Answer: “They shot Sonny on the causeway” Answer: 1,000
6) What was the name of Woltz's film company?
Answer: Woltz International Pictures
7) How many animals appear on screen during the movie? (Not counting the human ones or the horse's head)
Answer: OK I have to admit I got this one screwed up. The part with Michael in Sicily bores me so I fast-forwarded and missed the animals that crossed his path there. One person replying to the contest actually counted 37 sheep. I gave everyone credit for this answer. However, the number I was looking for was five. The cat, two horses, a fish, and a dog. Most people missed the dog that ran by when Michael came back and met Kay again.
8) Name the two entertainers who were appearing at the Sands in Las Vegas when Michael went to visit?
Answer: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis
9) What did Kay Adams buy Fredo for Christmas?
Answer: A tie
10) What was being sold outside of the place Sollozzo was holding Tom Hagan?
Answer: Christmas trees
11) Who murdered Paulie?
12) What was the profession of the man who helped Michael guard his father at the hospital?
13) What type of food was the Corleone gang eating while they were waiting to find out where Michael was to meet Sollozzo?
14) What nationality was Tom Hagen?
Answer: German / Irish
15) Name the month and year Vito Corleone was shot?
Answer: December 1945
16) How many bullets was Vito Corleone hit with in the assassination attempt?
17) Who was told to pick up Michael after he killed Sollozzo and McCluskey?
18) What was the name of the driver that picked up Michael in front of Jack Dempsey's?
19) According to Michael, where did his brother Sonny find Tom Hagen?
Answer: “In the street.”
20) According to Sollozzo, how was the veal at Louie's restaurant?
Answer: “It’s the best in the city.”
21) What newspaper did Michael find out from that his father had been shot?
Answer: The Daily Mirror
22) Name the Chicago crime boss that appears during the black & white film clips shown after the Sollozzo murder?
Answer: Frank Nitti
23) What animal appeared on screen the longest?
Answer: The cat on Vito Corleone’s lap at the beginning of the movie.
24) What was Virgil Sollozzo's nickname?
Answer: The Turk
A couple of thoughts on the movie. From the Godfather Part II we can deduce that Vito was born in 1892. That would make him 53 at the time of Connie’s wedding. Didn’t he look a lot older to you?
Second, I guess Fredo was still too busy “banging cocktail waitresses two at a time” to attend his father’s funeral. I didn’t see him there. Did anyone else?
Copyright A. R. May 1999